Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Will Wait Upon the Lord

One of the most misinterpreted verses, or rather, words in the Bible would have to be Isaiah 40:31 particularly the word "wait."

                 "but they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall
                  mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary; they
                  shall walk and not faint."--Isaiah 40:31

So many times I catch myself saying "oh well I'm just going to wait and see what the Lord has for me" or "I'm just going to wait for the Lord to give me a clear sign about whether I should do that or not." The problem with this logic is that Scripture clearly tells us a lot of things to do. "Go and make disciples" for instance is one clear form of this. How many times do I decide to sit around and wait for the Lord to tell me if I should minister to a certain person? A lot. Scripture clearly says YES, minister to that person, spread my gospel.

If you had a waiter at a restaurant that always waited for you to ask for something without them doing it, they would be a pretty horrible waiter. To "wait" means to "serve." If we are serving the Lord and seeking Him in everything we do, then His plan for our life is going to be more evident and clear. If I just sit back and "wait" for God to send some sign for everything then I am going to miss so many opportunities to serve Him. When I throw off all the other things that distract me in this world and focus on serving the one true God, I am going to be able to run and not be weary. I will walk and not faint. I don't want to "wait" on the Lord. He has already told me what I am supposed to do. I am supposed to serve Him. I will wait on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment